If you are a printing or graphic company looking to spend money on training requirements in the next year, the Canada-Ontario Job Grant (COJG) is a program you need to know about. The COJG is a $192 million annual grant fund available until 2020 aimed at assisting companies with paying for employee training. This includes vendor training on graphic software and accounting/ERP software, third-party forklift and WHMIS training, quality system training and sales training. The COJG’s goals are to increase the skill level of Canada’s workforce and help Canadian companies to become more globally competitive.
What types of training will the COJG funding cover?
- College or university courses
- School board courses
- Union-based training courses
- Vendor product courses
- Industry related training ie. forklift or WHMIS training
- Fees charged by training providers
- Mandatory student fees
- Textbooks, software and other required materials for all approved courses
- Examination fees
How much is the COJG Funding?
The funding is very generous and is up to $10,000 per employee. The funding depends on the number of employees within your company.
(A) Funding for Less than 50 Employees
COJG covers 66% of the training costs to a maximum of $10,000 per employee. For example if a company spent $15,000 in training an employee, they would receive the maximum training Grant amount of $10,000. Of the 33% in training fees paid by the company, half of this money must be in cash, with the remainder being in-kind wages paid to the employee while they are taking the training.
(B) Funding for More than 50 Employees
COJG covers 66% of the training costs to a maximum of $10,000 per employee. For example if a company spent $15,000 in training an employee, they would receive the maximum training Grant amount of $10,000 per employee. The company is responsible for paying 33% of the training fees.
When does my company receive the COJG funding?
Proof of payment needs to be provided to the government in order to receive reimbursement for the training costs. It takes at least six weeks to receive your training COJG funding from the date proof of payment is submitted.
When Should I Apply for the COJG?
In order to answer this question, we need to understand more about the federal grants in Canada.
(1) A grant is a limited amount of funding that must be approved before any expenditures are made. If you apply for the COJG when training is in process, or after you complete the training, your company will be ineligible to receive the grant. You need to apply for the COJG and get it approved before the training starts.
(2) Once the COJG funds are given out for the year, even if your company qualifies for the funding you will not be able to get funding. For instance your company applies for funding for HR courses at a local college which are taking place in four months. While your company met all of the COJG criteria, all of the COJG funds were given out for the government’s current fiscal year, and your company will not receive any funding for training. Your company will need to wait until the following year to apply for funding.
(3) The COJG opens at the start of the Government fiscal year which is April 1st, and ends March 31 of the following year. It is recommended your company apply for all required training for the government’s current fiscal year as soon as possible to ensure funding.
How do I apply for the COJG?
The COJG application can be found on the Ministry of Colleges, Universities and Training website:
Once the COJG application form is completed you submit it online. Someone from the government will be in touch with you. When the government representative comes to visit they will review the application and ask for any additional details they need. The approval decision will be made within a few weeks of your meeting with the government representative.