The new C.P. Bourg BPM (Bourg Sheet Preparation Module) is now shipping in multiple configurations and can be connected to many popular production toner, inkjet or liquid ElectroInk print engines to support perfect-bound books and stitched booklets produced in a wide range of formats and sizes – inline, offline and in dual-mode configurations. The OEM added that: “The C.P. Bourg BPM is an industry first, innovative print-finishing product designed for commercial and in-plant print production facilities. This revolutionary device greatly improves traditional perfect binding and booklet binding finishing workflows by significantly decreasing manufacturing time and costs.”
The Bourg Sheet Preparation Module is a sheet converting system that allows printers to automatically divide large, parent-sized printed sheets into intermediate, form-sized or final-sized sheets inline at process speed between their printer/press and finisher. The technology dramatically reduces page-imaging costs by allowing users to print multiple pages of a document on less expensive large sheets, eliminating the inefficient and expensive manual labour used to hand-process those large sheets into smaller, usable sizes on a guillotine cutter prior to finishing. The BPM is modular and JDF-compliant, allowing users to configure the product functions precisely as they require. Each unit has the ability to operate bi-directionally (as either a left-to-right or right-to-left configuration) and, as mentioned previously, will support production toner, inkjet or liquid ElectroInk print engines from multiple manufacturers. The base unit incorporates a paper path containing sheet registration and rotation functions. Additional on-board functionality can be added as required.
Options for these additional functions include:
- Bleed Trimming – Two independently adjustable slitting wheels can remove up to 100 mm or 4” of material from the head and foot of the sheet as it passes through the paper path.
- Creasing – A stepper motor-driven scoring cylinder creases the center of each sheet for downstream folding accuracy and precision, eliminating toner cracking or flaking and greatly reducing fold pillowing.
- Chop Cutting – A rotary cutter divides the passing sheet in half, creating two equal-sized sheets for finishing.
- Buckle Folding – An automated fold plate allows a single sheet to be folded in half.
- Sheet Ejection – Unnecessary or excess sheets may be discarded into a reject tray prior to finishing.
- BPM Scalability – If the desired output isn’t achievable using a single Preparation Module, a second BPM may be docked inline with the first. This expandability allows the user to utilize multiple additional functions on the second unit for greater flexibility in manufacturing.
Operational modes and print production applications. The Bourg Sheet Preparation Module can be implemented in one of three operational modes – inline (docked between the printer and finisher), offline, (docked between the Bourg Sheet Feeder and the finisher), or in dual-mode (docked inline with the printer and the Bourg Sheet Feeder allowing the system to operate either inline or offline, depending on job details. “This unique mode of operation delivers unparalleled performance and the greatest manufacturing flexibility in the industry,” said C.P. Bourg. The BPM includes two-up or four-up page production for perfect-binding or booklet-making products. Each application requires different feature sets to be deployed on the BPM, and each application operates at a different level of complexity. Perfect binding applications complement the full range of product dimensions available on the C.P. Bourg BB3002 EVA or PUR Perfect Binders. Booklet making applications will complement the full range of product dimensions available on the C.P. Bourg BM-e fully automated booklet making solution